Thursday, September 6, 2012

Peachy Keen Sweet Salsa


Hello there.  I haven't forgotten about you.  I've been drowning in an abundance of fruit and vegetables.  It's a serious situation.  I think I'm losing.  I mentioned before I have a system for managing this sort of crisis, but that system is in overdrive.  It's as if everyone in my kitchen is screaming PICK ME.  I'M RIPE.  OVER HERE! They're ganging up on me.  If I don't get going, I'll lose out.  I've been working tirelessly to get a leg up, roasting ripe tomatoes and eggplant, simmering tomato sauce, and cooking batches of soup.  I even tested out a delicious cauliflower soup I planned on sharing with you all, but when I looked at my photos later in the day, I was disappointed.  Pureed white cauliflower is tough on the eyes, even in my prettiest bowl.  I'm more vain than I thought.  I'll have to get back to you on that one. 

In the meantime, let's chat about peaches, shall we?  These ripe, succulent sweet peaches are pretty enough to compete with a vase of summer flowers.  I'm still working my way through them.  I have bowls and bowls of peaches.  Bowls of yellow peaches.  Bowls of white peaches.  Bowls for peach pits.  I'm seeing peaches in my dreams.  The peach mayhem started when I picked a few bags over the weekend, coupled with an additional dozen I received in my CSA share.  That's when things got all sorts of crazy.  So I started whittling through my bowls, eating a few peaches for breakfast with some yogurt, grabbing one for a snack here and there.  I'd send one off in Donny's lunch and offered a few to anyone who stopped by.  But at this rate, we were barely making a dent.  

I plowed ahead and made a peach version of this favorite and began freezing peeled slices in individual bags for smoothies.  Yet I still needed a creative way to use up more.  I thought of making a cobbler, but these peaches are so sweet.  I didn't want to ruin them in the oven.  Instead, I whipped up a quick batch of peach salsa.  For some reason, if fruit is cut up and ready to go, people are more likely to eat it.  A bowl of fruit salad goes a lot quicker than a whole cantaloupe rolling around in the fridge.  This salsa immediately increased our peach consumption and lo and behold, I had an empty bowl in no time.  It's dead easy; some red onions, red pepper, mint, salt, and voila.  It's great with crackers or pita chips and has the ability to turn plain rice into something spectacular. I hope you're enjoying the peaches as much as I am.  I only have twenty-three left to contend with.  I'm going to keep at it before fall starts creeping in on us.




~Peachy Keen Sweet Salsa Recipe~

8 ripe peaches, skin removed and chopped
1/2 small red onion, diced
1 small red pepper, diced
handful of fresh mint, torn or chopped 
1/4 tsp sea salt

Add ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine.  Serve immediately at room temperature with crackers, pita chips, or tortilla chips.  Serves 6.

8 comments:

kale said...

Simple and delicious. Sounds wonderful!

Eileen said...

I definitely need to whip up a batch of this before the summer peaches are all gone!

Sue/the view from great island said...

Oh gosh, I thought I was done with salsas, but after reading this post, clearly, I'm not. I have to make this. Love that white peach, too!

Te de Ternura said...

FANTÁSTICO ACOMPAÑAMIENTO!!!
Gracias amiga :)
Conxita

SkinnyMommy said...

Looks so fresh and summery. Yum!

Clair said...

Gahhh...okay, I'm getting peaches at the market next week! I have been CRAVING homemade salsa of any type and this looks divine.

Monet said...

What a beautiful and fresh summer salsa! Thank you so much for sharing it with me!

Stephanie said...

Thanks everyone! :) Let me know how it turns out if anyone tries it!