Thursday, September 27, 2012

Harvest Season

This might be my favorite time of year to visit the farmers' market.  Summer has ended.  Autumn took over, though it hasn't quite set in.  The mornings and nights become cooler, but the days remain warm and sunny.  Late summer seems to collide with autumn right at this very moment, producing the best of both seasons.  Butternut squash and Swiss chard make their appearance, yet eggplants and basil are still plentiful.  It makes for a beautiful display of heirloom tomatoes, peppers, crisp apples, and pears.  Here's a peak at how I spent last Sunday morning, perusing display tables in the sunshine.  I sampled apple cider, bought a handmade headband, and a giant three-dollar yellow heirloom I couldn't resist, despite the fact that I have a mountain of tomatoes at home.  If only all mornings could start this way.  










7 comments:

Sue/the view from great island said...

Great photos---our farmer's markets have been bloody hot lately, I can actually feel the fall in the light of these. I once bought two heirloom tomatoes that came to $8! Ouch.

Stephanie said...

Haha ouch is right! Sometimes you just have to do those things though! I don't buy tomatoes in the winter (only jarred and crushed tomatoes)....so I don't mind getting my fill while I can!

Liz from EatingPlaces said...

Beautiful pictures - those tomatoes are gorgeous. I love wandering around farmers markets, but I never take the time to snap a few photos. Thanks for the inspiration!

Thyme (Sarah) said...

You and I were doing the same thing over the weekend! The Santa Barbara market was just beautiful...but expensive. Three little tiny crates of berries = $12 Aren't those flowers just beautiful!

Barbara said...

Summer and autumn kiss on these golden days of late September! The best !!

tess said...

What a beautiful post! I love the reappearance of apples (and cider) at the farmer's market - and those flowers are stunning!

Stephanie said...

Hey everyone, thanks! Happy to provide inspiration Liz :) Sarah-wow that is expensive. I have to pick and choose. Barbara-they do kiss! I love that. Tess, I love apples and cider too! The flowers caught my eye right away. I might have to splurge next time and bring them home!