Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Cauliflower Soup


As promised, I'm back with my cauliflower soup recipe.  What I can't promise you is that my photos are any better this time around.  But let's get on with matters.  It goes without saying, if you're not a fan of cauliflower, then clearly this isn't your soup.  I happen to love cauliflower.  My parents only had to wait twenty-nine years for this to occur, but here I stand a cruciferous convert.  I've made this soup twice in the past two weeks.  It's a humble soup.  It's not flashy.  There are no surprises, no magic, and no fireworks.  Yes, there's garlic and onion sauteed in coconut oil, but at the heart of it all, it's pureed cauliflower.  It's as basic as it gets.



Nevertheless, it's all I can think about this time of year.  As the weather starts cooling off and the leaves begin falling, I curl up with bowls and bowls of this.  I make pureed vegetable soups throughout the year; asparagus, tomato, potato and leek, and butternut squash.  They all follow the same format using stock and a few standby staples.  Since there are so few ingredients at play, use the best cauliflower you can find.  I'm still getting some beautiful heads of cauliflower in my CSA share.  The same goes for vegetable stock.  Be sure to seek out good quality.  I like to season the whole pot generously with salt and pepper.  It has a nice, thick texture, which almost reminds me of potato soup.   It tastes clean, pure, and wholesome.  Buttered toast makes a nice companion, as does a grilled cheese sandwich.  Just in case cauliflower isn't your thing, I'll be back soon with something on the sweeter side.



~Cauliflower Soup Recipe~


1/3 cup coconut oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium cauliflower, broken or cut into florets
5 cups vegetable stock
sea salt and pepper to taste

In a large soup pot, add coconut oil, onion, and garlic over medium heat.  Saute for about five minutes or so, until the onion has softened.  Add cauliflower florets and vegetable stock.  Bring up to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for about thirty minutes, until the cauliflower has softened.  Puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender.  Add additional stock if you'd like to go thinner.  Add sea salt and pepper to taste.  Drizzle with additional coconut oil before serving if you like.  Serves 6.

8 comments:

Sue/the view from great island said...

Such beautiful, healthy comfort food. I've recently been buying the orange and purple cauliflower, I wonder how they would be in this kind of soup. Enjoy the onset of fall, we're still waiting for it here!

Clair said...

Perfect perfect perfect! So beautiful and simple. We are truly kitchen soul sisters.

I want to start making soups on Sundays. A vegan chili is really calling my name this weekend, but this is next on the list!!

Stephanie said...

Thanks Sue. I haven't seen those in a while but I'd love to get my hands on some orange or purple! Maybe that would help with my washed out photos! I don't know how people would feel about eating pureed purple soup, but I'd be game ;)

Clair, right on! I think we are too :) We're very in sync. Sunday is a perfect soup making day. If you find a good vegan chili, be sure to pass it along! Green Kitchen Stories had a great looking one-do you follow them?

Monet said...

Wow. This looks divine. I've heard of cauliflower soup, but I haven't tried it yet. What a comforting fall meal. Thank you for sharing, my friend, and for making my day a bit more happy and delicious. I hope you are having a wonderful week!

Eileen said...

Soup is absolutely the perfect food for fall. And of course cauliflower is perfect for fall too. Double trouble! :) I can't wait until it gets cool enough to eat like this every day.

Amy said...

Yay I was hoping you'd post this soup! I remember you saying that it isn't the most photogenic thing. No matter! I've always really wanted to try making cauliflower soup... I don't think I've ever even eaten it before. But the version in Swanson's super natural every day looks really good, too. I want to be more pro-soup like you, I've decided.

Stephanie said...

Monet, hope you are having a great week too. Thanks! :)

Eileen, you're right. Fall is the perfect time for soup.

Amy, thanks for the encouragement! haha.. I'm ignoring the wretched photos here. I think Heidi's version has mustard croutons, which sound delicious. Thanks for the reminder. I need to give that one a try too. This is the lazy man, poor man's version! The coconut oil is really key in this. I'm very pro-soup :) Good decision. Hop on board!

Barbara said...

This sound so good! Soup is comfort food!