Monday, August 27, 2012

Chocolate 'Milk'shake


It's been quite some time since I posted anything chocolate related, and I don't want to give off the impression that I don't get my chocolate fix on, because I do.  Here's how I've been doing it lately.  Meet the updated chocolate 'milk'shake, which doesn't include milk at all, or ice cream, or sugary syrup for that matter.  It does however; make use of raw cacao, which contains both iron and magnesium.  If you can imagine drinking a rich and dark chocolaty fudgsicle (though much less sweet), you'd be on track.  It's a silky smooth decadent shake without the cloyingly thick factor traditional milkshakes have.  It may be a little more intense on the chocolate front than what you're used to.  So if you find the cacao too bitter, as some people do with raw or dark chocolate, you could certainly sweeten it with honey or agave if the sweetness of the banana isn't quite enough for you.  But me?  I think it's heavenly.  So go on.  Get your chocolate fix on.



~Chocolate 'Milk'shake Recipe~

1 frozen banana
1 1/4 cup almond milk
2 tbsp raw cacao powder
1 tsp ground flaxseed
few ice cubes

Combine frozen banana, almond milk, raw cacao, flaxseed, and ice cubes in blender.  Let the blender go until all the ice is processed and the shake is smooth.  Use 'milkshake' button if your blender has one.  Pour into a glass.  Serves 1.

11 comments:

Mackenzie said...

oh.my.goodness. a dairy free milk shake for my lactose intolerant self is definitely on the to-do list for this week. :)

Amy said...

Ohhh I love this. When I make my frozen-banana smoothies, I often add cocoa powder. I haven't done that in awhile though, and this looks like the perfect sort of dessert I've been in the mood for lately. Love how you added flaxseed to it, too.

SkinnyMommy said...

Looks awesome--and healthy too!

Sue/the view from great island said...

This is great, how is it that I've never heard of cacao powder? I'm a fan of really bitter dark chocolate, so I know I would love this.

Monet said...

The updated chocolate milkshake looks just like it should...frothy and delicious. Thank you so much for sharing it with me.

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

Simply delicious! I'm seriously addicted to almond milk at the moment - I turned to it to replace skimmed cows milk and can't believe how much better it tastes - looking forward to tasting this!
Mary x

Clair said...

Looks like perfection...yummmy!!

Lena Mumenthaler said...

This sounds and looks really delicious. I have made a dessert using similar ingredients before (it was more like a chocolate pudding than milk) and really loved it. I need to try this the next time I crave chocolate!

kyleen said...

This chocolate milkshake looks so good! I love that it's so healthy. I need to go out and buy some cacao powder so I can make this!

Amy said...

So I got a hungry pang around 9 PM last night... and guess what I made? This was so great, tasted (almost) just like a chocolate banana milkshake. I love using frozen bananas as the base!

Stephanie said...

Hey Amy! So glad you tried it out! Not bad for a healthy version, right? ;)