Friday, July 20, 2012

Summer Berries with Rose Water and Mint


Earlier this week I went raspberry picking, at noon, under a blazing sun.  Thick, heavy, heat surrounded my every move.  I trekked out to the field, wiping sweat from my brow, acknowledging how raspberry season turns me into a fool.  I went right for the bushes in the first row, in the way back.  It's where the oldest and largest bushes live, those with the plumpest, juiciest raspberries.  Sometimes the best raspberries aren't in plain sight.  They're the ones hiding beyond the leaves, so ripe you barely have to touch them and they fall right into your fingertips.  They're a deeper shade of red, maroon almost.  And if they can't be eaten at that very moment, they should at least be eaten that very same day.  


I returned home and gulped a glass of water, turned on the air conditioning, and made a summer berry bowl.  I used a combination of just picked raspberries and blueberries, scattered with fresh mint for that something cool I was craving. My secret ingredient, rose water, adds a beautiful floral scent and taste.  Rose water is made from the essential oil of roses and is a popular dessert ingredient in many cultures.  A little goes a long way, just enough to permeate your senses.  It's the ingredient that will have people wondering why this particular bowl of berries tastes so good.  It's the rose water yes, but it's also because summer berries taste so incredible.  It's a wonderful combination of sweet, cool, and floral.  The bowl sat on my counter with a large silver spoon, proof that summer really is here.  Berries, heat, and all.         


~Summer Berries with Rose Water and Mint Recipe~

1 pint blueberries
1 cup raspberries
scant 1/4 tsp rose water
5 mint leaves
1 tbsp raw sunflower seeds

Add blueberries and raspberries to a medium bowl.  Chiffonade mint leaves and add to the berries.  Sprinkle the rosewater over top.  My berries were so delicate I didn't bother tossing them.  But if you'd like, toss them gently with your hands a bit.  Top with sunflower seeds.  Serves 4.

8 comments:

Amy said...

Oh that's so interesting. I love rosewater lassis whenever I go out for Indian food, but I've never thought of experimenting any more with it. Although you know I don't like raspberries, I love the idea of this with blueberries and strawberries for me. I love the idea of a simple bowl of berries, enhanced just a little bit.

Sue/the view from great island said...

I love the shot of the hands holding the berries, berry picking is my idea of heaven. I need to buy some rosewater, it sounds so lovely.

Margarita said...

As much as I love chocolate and pastries, I would take this anytime over them. Nothing is better than fresh fruit. I agree with you on mint... Yesterday I opened a cantaloupe that was a tad too ripe. I added a few mint leaves in there and it did the trick! It freshened up in an instant! Gotta try some rose water soon...

Thyme (Sarah) said...

I have been blueberry picking and strawberry picking...but I have never been raspberry picking. But, I have eating berries in the morning. I found an unsweetened yogurt (from Texas actually) that is so creamy and a spoon of sunflower seeds = yum! I've never tried rosewater...that sounds so lovely...

Clair said...

Ok, I've been wanting to do stuff with rose water for such a long time. Do you make your own or buy it already made? I think I remember seeing it already made in Indian grocery stores.

This sounds super delicious!!

Stephanie said...

Hey Clair, you're right. I found mine at a spice shop but yes you can find it at an Indian grocery store. I also saw orange blossom water there. I might give have to give that a try after I go through this bottle of rose water.

NourishedLiving said...

I love rosewater in desserts. We use it often in the Middle East. This recipe is delightful - and mint makes everything better during these hot summer days :)

Stephanie said...

Hi there. Thank you for stopping by. I agree-mint is great during the summer!