Thursday, May 10, 2012

Strawberry Banana Smoothie



Sometimes I act on impulse, like yesterday, when I bought this bag of organic strawberries from the freezer section.  We're still a solid month away from strawberry season here in Massachusetts, and patience is not always my strong suit.  I generally avoid strawberries in the grocery store year round.  They're missing ripeness, sweetness, and va-va-voom.  Well needless to say, it's been a long year, and I've made an exception to my rule, in part, to ease the painful waiting process.  I've made room for frozen strawberries this month.  Cheating?  Perhaps, but they work just fine in a smoothie, because you'll never find me massacring June strawberries in a blender.  This classic combination is blended with almond milk and ground flaxseed for a quick nutritional boost.  It's my latest five-minute breakfast with a side of nut butter toast.  If June is for strawberries, maybe May is for frozen strawberry banana smoothies (and ramps, asparagus, and the arrival of weekend farmers' markets!).  With each sip, my thoughts remain set on lush strawberries ripening on the vine.  Soon enough.  They're worth the wait.



~Strawberry Banana Smoothie Recipe~

1 banana
5 whole, frozen strawberries
1 cup almond milk
1 tsp ground flaxseed

Combine banana, strawberries, almond milk, and flaxseed in a blender.  Process until pureed and mixture is smooth.  Pour into glass.  Makes 1 serving.

2 comments:

Margarita said...

Nothing wrong with an impulsive buy of frozen berries! We are a solid 2 months away from strawberries. The ones from California are not great yet either... or maybe we just get the not so awesome kind here. Love strawberry banana smoothies. A real classic!

Thyme (Sarah) said...

I love all of the food you cook. We're going to start juicing after having been introduced to it out in Oregon. I must say those frozen strawberries look really good. They are so big! I wish we had ramps here but I haven't seen them...