Thursday, February 23, 2012

Scrambled Eggs with Dill and Goat Cheese



These are honestly the only scrambled eggs I'll ever need.  On the rare occasion I go out for breakfast, I secretly wish I could order a plate of these.  Instead I order poached eggs or maybe pancakes, shying away from scrambled.  Scrambled eggs can be a gamble at a breakfast joint.  I don't mean to complain, but when I've changed out of my pajamas and trudged out into the cold, I want it to be really great.  It's hard to mess up breakfast.  When it's good, it's great.  When it's bad, it's really bad.  And here's what I know.  I can only get eggs this good at home, tossed in my trusty cast iron pan.  This ensures buttery, moist, and fluffy scrambled eggs each and every time.  Since there's no wait time, we get to enjoy them piping hot just seconds after coming off the pan.  This is the only way to do it friends.  Scrambled eggs can't get much better than this.  We've declared these scrambled eggs our favorite.




Slivers of red onion, tangy goat cheese, and fresh dill sneak into fluffy eggs.  I'm not sure how this idea came to be.  I like to toss herbs into my eggs and threw this together one morning.  I've been making scrambled eggs this way ever since.  There are a few pointers worth mentioning, including getting the best eggs you can find.  I often pick up a dozen fresh eggs at a local farm the day before I plan on making a weekend breakfast.  The same goes for goat cheese.  Seek out good quality.  If you have access to a local or artisan variety, that's a sure bet.  Vermont creamery artisan cheese is one I turn to.  If you start with good ingredients, especially since there are so few here, you'll get a good end result.  And one last pointer; don't overcook your eggs.  You'll want to take them off just a moment or so before you think you should.  They'll work out just fine.  It's a sure bet.




~Scrambled Eggs with Dill and Goat Cheese Recipe~

5 organic eggs
3 tbsp milk or water
4-5 red onion slices from a mandolin
1 tbsp freshly chopped dill
1 tbsp butter
1 oz crumbled goat cheese, plus additional for serving
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Whisk eggs with milk or water in a large bowl.  Add in chopped dill and whisk again.  In a large cast iron pan, melt butter over medium heat.  Once it starts sizzling, add red onion slices.  Cook for less than a minute, just enough to take the raw edge off.  Reduce heat and pour eggs into the pan.  Sprinkle with goat cheese.  Wait a few seconds until they settle and set.  Begin to scrape from the edges, lifting the eggs towards the center and folding.  Cook just until done, even pulling off right before.  They will continue to cook once you take them off the skillet.  Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.  Top with additional goat cheese if desired.  Serves 2.   

7 comments:

Clair said...

These look perfect. I don't think I've ever pulled off such amazing scrambled eggs. I'm going to follow your technique to a t next time!

Margarita said...

I always love new things to do with my scrambled eggs... Loving the goat cheese addition and the dill! Yum!

Amy said...

Oh my gosh these look like just about the best scrambled eggs I've ever seen, Stephanie! Definitely better than any I've had in a diner.

Laura said...

This sounds absolutely delicious! I often make scrambled eggs for brunch or dinner for the family and this is a recipe we would all love.

Epicurea said...

you are sooo right, rarely is it worth to drag yourself out of the house for some mediocre breakfast! and i can only second the importance of high quality eggs, makes all the difference in the world.

Valerie said...

Goat cheese, red onions, and fluffy scrambled eggs...that's about as perfect as breakfast can get. This looks scrumptious!

Anna @ the shady pine said...

What a perfect combination of the creamy eggs and harp goats cheese....yum!