Thursday, January 26, 2012

Winter Snapshots

I've long been awaiting the snow.  It finally made its appearance, blanketing the ground and coating tree limbs.  Yager's relentless barking at the back door prompted a snowy walk with my camera in tow.  Sure, I had other plans.  They were of the tediously awful variety; vacuuming, tossing in loads of laundry, putting away dishes drying on the counter formed into a mountain sized peak.  But strapping on my boots proved much more therapeutic.  I needed to be in the thick of winter.  Yes, the wind was whistling and I could barely feel my fingers on the camera, but listening to the snow squeaking beneath my feet felt pretty great.  There's nothing like a good chill to the core to make you feel alive.  Winter is such a hauntingly beautiful time of year.  It's cold; it's quiet, and serene.  The vacuum, the laundry, and dishes would still be there tomorrow.  The sun may not.  We chose the sun and the cold, immersing ourselves in crisp white images at every turn.
















"I prefer winter and fall, when you feel the bone structure of the landscape-the loneliness of it, the dead feeling of winter.  Something waits beneath it, the whole story doesn't show."-Andrew Wyeth


In case you missed it, here's a look back at some previous photos from this year.
Fall Snapshots
Summer Snapshots

7 comments:

Laura said...

Beautiful pictures. There is finally snow here in Utah as well. Time for skiing with the family! I am your newest follower :)

Sarah (Snippets of Thyme) said...

Snow, snow, snow! I'll have to enjoy virtually through your blog. Beautiful.

Em (Wine and Butter) said...

BEAUTIFUL photos - Ive always wanted to visit New England! Im also now desperate to make your dog treats for our pup - what sort of dog do you have?

Stephanie said...

Hi Em, I have a border terrier, you? The treats are great made in advance. I freeze them in batches in small bags and take them out as I need them.

ella@lifeologia said...

Lovely shots.
Glad you got out there ;)
Although I find the sun often deceiving in the winter and it's the grey days (not as fun) that are warmer....

xoxo

kale @ tastes good to me! said...

Goodness this makes me miss snow!!

Zoe said...

I'm admiring all your beautiful snowy photo. All these are priceless.