Monday, December 26, 2011

Roasted Rainbow Carrots



Hello friends.  Welcome back.  I hope Santa was good to you.  I've been perpetually full for days now.  I'm sure you can relate.  Have you had enough chocolate and cookies for now?  I thought so.  Let's move onto something healthier, shall we? I'm really excited about these beautiful carrots at the moment.  After picking up a bunch at a winter farmers' market, I've had what could only be described as a carrot epiphany, a carrot ah-ha moment, if you will.  I tossed a bunch in some good olive oil and roasted them off one night for dinner.  I was heavily rewarded for such minimal effort.  I felt so sneaky.  They are easily the best tasting carrots I've ever had.  Ever.  That's no exaggeration.  If I had a blue ribbon, I would have pinned them down and made it official, complete with an award ceremony and photos to share with you.  I feel as though I've been spoiled, and will never again eat a whittled down bagged baby carrot with any sense of enjoyment.  I now know there is something better out there.  These carrots are my new gold standard.  The bar has been raised.  




I drove thirty minutes to pick up another bundle the following week, and truth be told, would have driven much further.  They are a gorgeous lot.  The yellow are thick and hearty, but yield the sweetest flavor.  The white and purple, slender and lady like, taste clean and earthy. 




I peeled and cut them in no particular order.  I cut them lengthwise, in half, into thick slices resembling fries.  It didn't matter to me whether or not their shapes were perfect and uniform.  They were so beautiful in fact that I didn't want to discard the shavings.  I sliced up an onion and promptly roasted up another batch.  The onions started to wilt, turning brown and crispy around the edges.  The carrots were transforming in the heat, the purple ones curling up at the ends. With a turning from my spatula, a purple hue bled across the pan, staining everything in its path.  I couldn't help but peer through the oven window in anticipation.  It was worth the drive and worth the wait.  I ate these sweeties right off the pan, scraping up the blackened crispy slivers of onions, leaving not a trace behind.  They are better than candy.  I never lie.




~Roasted Rainbow Carrot Recipe~

large bunch of carrots (6-7 of various varieties)
1 large onion sliced thinly
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
sea salt and pepper


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Peel and slice carrots into pieces resembling thick fries.  Place the carrots and onions onto a large baking sheet.  Drizzle oil over the top and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.  Using your hands, combine and coat the carrots with the oil.  Roast in the oven for one hour.  Turn halfway through the cooking process.  Serves 4 as a side.


~To get your hands on Michael's carrots from Winter Moon Roots of Hadley, MA, stop by the Somerville Winter Market at the Armory on Saturdays, or head to the Wayland Winter Market at the Russel Garden Center starting in January.~

11 comments:

Rachana said...

I can relate to you very well :-) These carrots look simply great.

Sue/the view from great island said...

How fun---I can't wait to get back to a winter farmer's market. I wondered about the big fat carrots, and I've avoided them thinking they would taste 'woody', but I'll get some for sure next time.

Marina {Yummy Mummy) said...

Beautiful! I love roasting carrots. Well, any veggie really.

Ricardo Miñana said...

Passing to say hi to my best wishes for these dates as indicated
and for the new year arrives that your wishes are met
Happy New Year 2012!.
A hug.

kyleen said...

These carrots look gorgeous! I've never seen purple carrots before; they're so pretty. Happy Holidays!

Clair said...

Oh so beautiful. I love roasted carrots too. Fresh is best, but Trader Joe's also has some lovely frozen orange and yellow ones. Mmm...

Megan said...

Wow, I never knew carrots came in so many colours! They look beautiful.

Nelson said...

Hello! My first visit, will visit you again. Seriously, I thoroughly enjoyed your posts. Congrats for your work. If you wish to follow back that would be great I'm at http://nelsonsouzza.blogspot.com
Thanks for sharing!
Happy New Year!

Francesca Giusti said...

love this food and also your blog! It's so nice!!! I follow you!
Pass to my blog and if it likes you follow me too, I will be so glad :D
kisses
http://francescagiusti.blogspot.com/

dietitiandrive said...

A friend who attend the same winter farmers market passed this along. Carrots look amazing. I am inspired to check out my local winter framers market now!

Stephanie said...

Nice to see some new faces, welcome everyone. Thanks for stopping. It's so nice to read the comments. And yes, check out your winter markets :) Let me know what you find!