Saturday, September 10, 2011

Carrot Apple Ginger Juice



The first time I tried this juice was at a coffeehouse in Salem, MA called Front Street .  It's tucked away on a cobblestone side street in this historic and vibrant city.   On the interior, local artwork hangs on the walls and it emanates a funky, no frills kind of vibe.  It reminds me of a coffeehouse I used to work in during college.  It's always bustling at lunchtime, serving up great salads, sandwiches, and juices.  I make a point of stopping there whenever I am in the area.  I order this juice to go and it travels with me  around the city, a favorite destination this time of  year.  The historic homes, the wharf, the eccentric shops and people watching.  Tour buses, boats docked in the harbor, tourists posing alongside statues, and outdoor restaurants filled with smiling faces.  I take it all in. 




The course of my walks may change, but the juice is a constant.  I've remained loyal to the carrot, apple, ginger combination and now make it at home with my juicer.  I received a juicer from my brother as a gift and we couldn't wait to tear open the box.  He brought it over one afternoon, along with copious amount of fruits and vegetables.  We started juicing everything we could get our hands on.  This trend continued over the following months in my kitchen.  I juiced greens like kale, spinach, parsley, celery, cucumbers, and even lettuce.  I juiced pears, oranges, lemons, limes, and watermelon.  And I'll say this...juicing makes you feel good! So good in fact, that the clean up is just a small price to pay for such an invigorating and fresh treat.




Juicing is a great way to densely pack vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants into your diet.  Drinking this in the morning is like drinking a tall glass of sunshine.  It makes a standard glass of orange juice seem a little humdrum.  Carrots and apples go so well together since they are both naturally sweet.  Personally, I love the spicy kick of the ginger at the end of each sip; and ginger is excellent for your digestive system and heart.  Play around and adjust the ginger to your liking.  You may like a big punch, or just a hint in the background.  If you don't like ginger, simply omit it.  The carrot and apple combination is great on it's own too.  I'm determined that the juicer has a different fate than my bread maker, which I believe is hibernating in my basement.   If you are new to juicing, this is a great recipe to start with.  Take it with you for a walk around your favorite city.  


~Carrot Apple Ginger Juice Recipe~

4 carrots
3 apples (cut in quarters)
1 1/2" piece of ginger root

Adjust juicer to appropriate settings.  No need to peel.  Add carrots, apples, and ginger to juicer.  Stir before pouring into a glass.  Serves 1.


~Scenes from my morning stroll around Salem in all its quintessential New England glory...








1 comment:

Sue/the view from great island said...

I can't wait to visit Salem, your photos are so stunning. As for the juicer, I just saw one advertised on tv and they convinced me, but a Kitchenaid mixer is first on my wish list. Your juice looks wonderful.