Thursday, September 8, 2011

Black Bean Grilled Corn Salsa



I want to like football, I really do.  I used to love going to watch our high school football games as the weather started to change.  Wrapped in my big puffy jacket, hot chocolate resting in my mitten hands, gossiping with friends.   It was more of a social event in the stands, but still.  I love the idea of watching football with family and friends at home, staking out a spot on the couch, everyone coming together to enjoy good food.  Maybe that's what keeps me coming back, the food.  Maybe it's not so much the football, I'll admit.     

If you've been following this blog, you may already be aware of my salsa addiction.  I've mentioned before I make many versions of it, and it's time I share this one.  It's hearty, healthy, and great for a crowd, going over particularly well with the guys.  It's the kind of thing I like to make on a fall Sunday afternoon during the start of football season while the veggies are still piling in.  We keep a big bowl of this salsa within arms distance, and share a bag of our favorite tortilla chips for scooping.  It's healthier than most football fare, but no less flavorful.  I should mention that my idea of football watching might also include thumbing through cookbooks for new recipes and reading novels from time to time.  But hey, I'm trying.       



I like to leave the tomatoes on the chunky side.  Don't worry about cutting everything uniform.  It's meant to be rustic.  Simply toss all the ingredients together in a large bowl and refrigerate to let the flavors come together.  It's best to make this the day of, or day before you are going to serve it.  Try it out during this year's football season.  Bring it to a friends house for your next get together.  Snack on it while reading novels.  No judgement.  In the meantime, I'm going to continue to want to like football, and will always root for the Patriots.  If nothing other than to catch glimpses of Tom Brady while snacking on salsa.  I told you, I'm trying.     



~Black Bean Grilled Corn Salsa Recipe~

4 tomatoes, chopped
1 bell pepper, diced
1 small red onion (or 1/2 of a large onion)
1 jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed, diced
1 cup grilled corn kernels
1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, chopped
1 1/2 cup cooked black beans (or 1 can)
juice of 1 lemon
juice of 2 limes
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp sea salt
few grinds from a pepper mill

Chop tomatoes, and dice bell pepper, red onion, jalapeno, and cilantro.  Add to a bowl with corn and black beans, stirring to combine.  Squeeze lemon and lime juice over top.  Season with cumin, sea salt, and pepper, giving it one last stir. Serves 6 (makes 8 cups).

3 comments:

Sue/the view from great island said...

I'm a salsa fiend, too. I've been making them like crazy all summer to go on fish, chicken, quesadillas etc, but for some reason I've never made a black bean and corn one and I LOVE black beans and corn. Go figure. I could eat this one all by itself with a spoon. The lime and cumin sound so good.

themoveablefeasts said...

First of all I have to say I LOVE your new about me page-- at least I hope it's new and I haven't glanced over it in the past! Great content.

I also wanted to share a recipe I tried earlier this week that was fantastic, and I thought you might like it:
http://www.thesubletkitchen.com/2011/02/black-bean-and-tomato-quinoa-with-lime.html

Comes from The Sublet Kitchen, which I'm not sure if you follow or not. Anyway, the flavors of the dish are spot on and it definitely reminded me of greenthyme. :)

Stephanie said...

Oh good, I'm so happy you like it. It is new, I've been meaning to do that for a while. I'm also going to make a recipes page to make it easier to search for recipes. That recipe does look fantastic! I'm not familiar with this blog, but I'll definitely be checking it out. Thanks for sharing! :)