Friday, July 22, 2011

Strawberry Spelt Sunday Morning Pancakes



Who doesn't love a nice stack of golden pancakes to start their day?  They just ooze childhood memories and cozy weekends at home.  If you have ever been the lucky recipient of a stack of homemade pancakes, it's a pretty good morning.  Pancakes had to be the first thing I ever learned to cook on my own.  As soon as I was allowed to use the stove, I would reach for the big yellow box of bisquick in our cupboard.  I'd grab a chair from our kitchen table, push it over to the cabinets and stand on top to pull out our tupperware mixing pitcher and bright yellow mixing cups.  I would carefully measure out the milk and eggs, and not so carefully splatter the mixture along our countertops.  It was the first thing I made, and made well for my family.  My dad was always the first to compliment me on my pancake skills and was a good sport for cleaning up the mess.


These days, I've retired the bisquick, and have been playing around with some new pancake recipes, including variations on flours.  This version uses spelt flour.  Spelt is a cereal grain in the wheat family.  It has a slightly nutty and sweet flavor, is easy to digest, and full of nutrients.  It contains a bit more protein and fewer calories than wheat flour, making it a great choice to start your day.  You can find spelt flour in the bulk aisle of your grocery store or natural food aisle.  These pancakes have just a hint of sweetness from the vanilla and cinnamon.  I serve these golden stacks up with a side of fresh sliced strawberries, and a hefty drizzle of real maple syrup and butter.  They will keep you full and satisfied all morning.  Make these for someone and make their morning special.  You may even make a few memories in the process.




~Strawberry Spelt Sunday Morning Pancakes Recipe~


1 1/4 cup spelt flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg beaten
1 1/4 cup milk
2 tbsp butter, melted 
dash cinnamon
3/4 cup sliced strawberries (plus more for serving alongside)
butter to serve and to grease pan


Combine the flour, baking powder, sea salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl.  Add in the milk, eggs, and melted butter.   Stir together until just combined.  You don't want to overmix the spelt flour.   Fold in the sliced strawberries.  Add a small amount of butter to the pan.  Pour batter into the pan.  Wait until little bubbles form in the middle of the pancakes and the edges start to set.  You want a nice golden color before you flip.  Cook the other side and repeat until you have used up the batter.  You should get about 8 (4-6 inch) pancakes from this recipe.  Serve up with butter, sliced strawberries, and maple syrup.



3 comments:

themoveablefeasts said...

Like you, I have a lot of memories of helping out with breakfasts and learning how to make a pancake before anything else (of course, with bisquick). Breakfast is always such a nice time! Laid back and lazy and with family.

These pancakes look great, by the way, I love how you added strawberries. And I've never even tried spelt flour ever before! I'm really curious to try it now, especially for pancakes.

Mary said...

Stephanie, this is indeed a great way to start the day. Your pancakes look beautiful and I'm sure they are delicious. This is my first visit to your blog, so I've taken some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you feature here and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Blessings...Mary

Stephanie said...

Thanks Amy-let me know how it works for you if you give it a try!

Nice to meet you Mary. Thanks for stopping by. Glad you like what you see. Have a nice weekend too!